Make a difference from spreadsheet to swimming pool.
Take your talent to new places.
Search all Shoreside Careers
Company: Carnival Cruise Line
Area of Interest: Marine Operations
Job Title: Project Director, Refurbishmen
Carnival Cruise Line is the most popular cruise brand in North America and operates 25 ships designed to foster exceptionally fun and memorable vacation experiences at an outstanding value. Carnival Cruise Line is the leading provider of year-round Caribbean cruises and also operates seasonal cruises in Europe, Alaska, New England, Canada, Bermuda, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera and the Panama Canal. The brand caters to a wide consumer demographic, appealing to families, couples, singles and seniors alike. One common denominator among Carnival's guests is the desire for a truly fun, memorable and enjoyable vacation experience.
We are currently seeking a Project Director
The primary focus of the position is to develop, oversee, manage and lead large ship refurbishment and technical projects for the New Builds & Refurbishments Department. The Project Director will work in conjunction with directors, senior managers and executives throughout the organization to implement technical, hotel and safety projects. The Project Director is responsible for the development and execution of projects within specifications, budgets and schedules, involving multicultural engineers and contractors.
- Develop and manage multiple, large-scale projects simultaneously, and monitor costs to assure projects operate within budget. Projects may vary in scope (technical, hotel, safety) and range from 6 months to 3 years.
- Work closely with stakeholders and project sponsors to understand the concept, objectives and goals for the requested projects. Develop the scope of work required to fully satisfy the stakeholders’ desired project outcome.
- Manage project teams, from top level thru to designers, engineers and space managers. Oversee their activities and their initiatives. Coordinate and schedule work assignments of project teams, support staff and consultants, if needed.
- Prepare bid documents and technical/design specifications, if needed. Review drawings and specifications presented by internal and external architects and engineers, considering rules compliance, functionality, operational needs and budget.
- Evaluate contractor bids. Advise in contract negotiations, pricing and change orders. Maintain close contact with contractors and vendors to resolve any possible challenges in a proactive manner. Approve and source substitutes, if required.
- Oversee deliverables for the project, including: design, documentation, specifications, schedule, logistics and testing. Perform onsite inspections at dry docks to ensure quality adherence/assurance of work completed and timely production. Ensure projects are accomplished following applicable regulatory requirements and that all documents are updated and archived. Stay abreast of current and future regulations.
- Compose and present business plans, budget analysis and project timelines to upper management and stakeholders in multiple departments. Assure appropriate and accurate information flow both within and outside the organization. Serve as a technical resource to senior managers. Utilize experience in leading large projects to streamline processes and increase efficiency and productivity.
- Serve as a liaison between stakeholders, project managers, architects, designers, electrical and safety managers and support staff to assure no aspect of the project is overlooked and that project progress is congruent with the original concept.
- Identify critical paths and key milestones. Develop project management tools and generate reports that provide status updates to executive management. Standardize and implement project management best practices for department. Educate team on methodology and the improvements these modifications will foster.
- Provide feedback to VP of New Builds & Refurbishments in regard to enhancements and improvements for refurbishment program. Strategize with VP of department to create high-level departmental goals, processes and objectives. Strive to decrease project costs and offer quality improvements.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Marine Engineering or Naval Architecture, including course study in Stability and Hydrodynamics
- At least 10 years of Marine Engineering or Naval Architecture experience (new build/dry dock vessel survey and management experience preferred).
- Experience leading large-scale ship refurbishments and technical installations.
- Sea going experience in the role of Chief Engineer or equivalent.
- Successful track record in managing a large multicultural staff with diverse skill sets.
- Ability to make critical decisions regarding vessel construction/renovation with regard to stated regulations, pressing timelines and controlled budgets.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office, MS Project and AutoCAD is necessary.
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time for ship refits.
Benefits as a member of Carnival's Team:
- A comprehensive healthcare program, dental coverage and flexible spending accounts
- Company-paid term life insurance and long term disability coverage, employee-paid optional life insurance and other voluntary insurance programs
- A 401(k) plan that includes up to a 3% company match after one year of service and a discretionary
- Profit Sharing contribution in your second year of eligible employment
- Tuition Reimbursement that provides up to 75% reimbursement for company related professional career development
- An on-site Space Coast Credit Union satellite office, cafeteria and free parking
- Employee Stock Purchase plan that provides up to a 15% discount off the Fair Market Value of Carnival Corporation Common Stock Paid vacation and sick time
- An on-site fully accredited preschool educational program that provides developmentally appropriate educational programming for families of children ages 6 weeks through 5 years of age and up to 12 years of age during school holidays and summer vacation in addition to drop-in care for those unexpected childcare conflicts
- An on-site Health and Wellness Center that provides a full range of activities including weight training machines, free weights, cardiovascular equipment, an aerobic center, massage therapy, certified personal trainers and a wide variety of other programs
- Two complimentary "Fun Ship" cruises a year (based on available space and seniority) as well as discounted rates to friends and family in addition to other discounts to local and neighborhood vendors
Carnival Corporation & plc and Carnival Cruise Line is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. In this regard, it does not discriminate against any qualified individual on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, mental, physical or sensory disability, or any other classification protected by local, state, federal, and/or international law.
req7224Job ID 4261101