Company: CARNIVAL CRUISE LINEArea of Interest: Human ResourcesLocation: MiamiState: FloridaJob Title: Learning & Development Manager
We are currently seeking a Learning and Development Manager! The Learning & Development Manager is responsible for developing and managing high quality innovative and engaging learning programs, with an emphasis on training delivery. The Manager will partner with business stakeholders and the Learning COE to create and deliver on learning strategies that apply to the shipboard population. He/she will manage and facilitate all programs to support the shipboard Learning Resource Centers and shipboard operations, including management development, hotel operational programs, HESS programs and other corporate initiatives. This individual will also manage external vendors; provide consultation on training needs, and work on overarching projects that support the strategic objectives of the HR team and the organization. This role supervises the Fleet L&D Managers and oversees a shipboard team of approximately 75 team members (Learning & Development Managers and Engagement Specialists), and is accountable to the Learning Resource Centers on Carnival's ships. He/she is responsible for sourcing and developing the L&D shipboard team members and ensuring ships are staffed and able to provide necessary training to stay in compliance with local, corporate and international agencies.
- Partner with stakeholders to ensure alignment with company wide curriculum and the needs of the shipboard workforce and learning environment. Partner with L&D COE and lead the design, development, assessment and deployment of learning and training programs in support of the business and employee development needs. Responsible for developing new/innovative shipboard training programs including, but not limited to HESS programs, specialized operational programs, supervisory and management development programs, corporate compliance programs and team member orientation programs. Conduct needs assessments and gap analysis to identify development requirements in partnership with the business and/or Shipboard HR. Evaluate participant and course performance and adjust programs as appropriate, continuously analyzing and evaluating current learning strategies. Identify metrics to measure value of training deliverables. Effectively uses tools and techniques to monitor and assess training effectiveness, and makes changes as necessary.Facilitate training (instructor led training, discussion facilitation, blended learning, elearning, etc.), as needed. Is knowledgeable and always updated with industry trends in learning & development. Makes recommendations and effectively uses various training modes including but not limited to web based, social learning platforms, computer based simulation, mobile, VR, etc. to deliver high impact and cost effective training, as appropriate. Works with learning management systems and technologies including Cornerstone, and homegrown systems e.g. GLADIS (ship LMS), CPS (Data Management) and/or other systems to ensure a seamless learning experience, including troubleshooting, as necessary.
- Ensures all project deliverables are aligned with the organisational learning strategy across ship/shore. Manages projects independently by consulting and partnering with L&D COE team, vendors and business subject matter experts to assess business needs, determine and address performance gaps, understand training needs, objectives, costs and outcomes to make recommendations that fit the need of the business. Effectively manages relationships with vendors and uses project management tools to keep multiple projects and resources on track and communicates progress, expectations or challenges with stakeholders effectively. Manages multiple workstreams and projects on a variety of L&D initiatives across the shipboard organisation in keeping with timelines and optimizes resources and costs. Effectively manages and facilitates communication of fleet training programs roll outs, as well as monitors the scheduling and effective delivery of programs.
- Manages the Learning Resource Centers onboard each ship, ensuring standards of operation and that centers are adequately equipped. Ensures centers are an effective learning environment with the right resources. Manages the setup and start-up operations of the learning centers on new ship builds. Maintains running of existing shipboard programs including but not limited to regulatory, management training, orientations, hospitality and shipboard English competency program, etc., per standard. Oversees and ensures program compliance with local, international maritime agencies and organisations including, but not limited to Flag State, IMO and STCW regulations, Environmental regulations, MLC regulations, etc. Manages talent within the shipboard Learning & Development team, including sourcing, onboarding, training and development of L&D team. Ensures proper staffing plans to maintain required compliance for seamless shipboard operations. Partners with Shipboard HR and ship’s leadership to effectively manage performance of the shipboard L&D team, including coaching and guiding the team as needed. In collaboration with the Fleet HRDs, Fleet L&D Managers, and on-board HR Director, will identify any areas for improvement. Sets standards within the training teams and monitors quality on all aspects related to Learning and Development. Conducts ship visits and audits to verify effectiveness of processes and practices, identify areas for improvement, and ensure first-hand observation of standards and practices for the continued maintenance of quality and effectiveness. Creates and effectively uses metrics to continuously monitor and assess the effectiveness of the shipboard training program.
- Any other related duties which may be assigned, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in any discipline, preferably in Human Resources, Hospitality, Business, Learning and Development or Organizational Development; a related post graduate degree is desirable.
- SHRM, CIPD or other related qualifications showing a specialization /competence in L&D or Organizational Development required. Additional Business related qualifications will be an advantage.
- 8-10 years of progressive HR/L&D experience; including 7+ years of specialist learning and development experience with project management of which at least 5 years have been spent in a management role responsible for supervising the work of others; Has 3+ years of experience designing and facilitating management training programs. Prior related shipboard experience will be preferred.
- Able to synthesize information, “connect the dots” between functional areas and the business needs, analyze the inputs, consider the trade-offs, and translate into actionable content, recommendations, and results; High degree of intellectual curiosity. Passion to learn, with an active interest in the latest research and trends in training & Development; Experience leading and managing cross-functional projects and teams and large-scale change initiatives requiring a high degree of collaboration, detailed execution, and influence;Is able to influence and build strong relationships at all levels and throughout the organization; Is an engaging communicator, with the ability to speak/present to groups, and facilitate meetings, training programs and development discussions.
- Excellent understanding of training principles, adult learning theories, instructional design, eLearning and program management; solid communication, both written and oral, and ability to communicate with and present to senior management; Excellent project management, planning and analytical skills, ability to influence through data-driven recommendations; ability to work with diverse employees at all levels and across different functions
- Learning Management Systems (LMS); Microsoft Office Suite, Content authoring tools e.g. Articulate 360 Suite and other related web based applications
- In addition to other duties/functions, this position requires full commitment and support for promoting ethical and compliant culture. More specifically, this position requires integrity, honesty, and respectful treatment of others, as well as a willingness to speak up when they see misconduct or have concerns.
Benefits as a member of Carnival's Team:
About Carnival Cruise Line
A comprehensive healthcare program, dental coverage and flexible spending accounts.
Company-paid term life insurance and long term disability coverage, employee-paid optional life insurance and other voluntary insurance programs.
A 401(k) plan that includes up to a 3% company match after one year of service and a discretionary-profit sharing contribution in your second year of eligible employment.
Tuition Reimbursement that provides up to 75% reimbursement for company related professional career development.
Employee Stock Purchase plan that provides up to a 15% discount off the Fair Market Value of Carnival Corporation Common Stock.
Paid vacation and sick time.
Two complimentary "Fun Ship" cruises a year (based on available space and seniority) as well as discounted rates to friends and family in addition to other discounts to local and neighborhood vendors.
An on-site fully accredited preschool educational program that provides developmentally appropriate educational programming for families of children ages 6 weeks through 5 years of age and up to 12 years of age during school holidays and summer vacation in addition to drop-in care for those unexpected childcare conflicts.
An on-site Health and Wellness Center that provides a full range of activities including weight training machines, free weights, cardiovascular equipment, an aerobic center, massage therapy, certified personal trainers and a wide variety of other programs.
Certified Great Place to Work.
Carnival Cruise Line is the most popular cruise brand in North America and operates 26 ships designed to foster exceptionally fun and memorable vacation experiences at an outstanding value. Carnival Cruise Line is the leading provider of year-round Caribbean cruises and also operates seasonal cruises in Europe, Alaska, New England, Canada, Bermuda, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera and the Panama Canal. The brand caters to a wide consumer demographic, appealing to families, couples, singles and seniors alike. One common denominator among Carnival's guests is the desire for a truly fun, memorable and enjoyable vacation experience. Speaking of fun, we are officially certified as a Great Place to Work aboard our ships as well as in our global corporate headquarters!
Carnival Corporation & plc and Carnival Cruise Line is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. In this regard, it does not discriminate against any qualified individual on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, mental, physical or sensory disability, or any other classification protected by local, state, federal, and/or international law.
For information about FMLA eligibility and guidelines please visit: www.dol.gov/whd/fmla (copy and paste link into your browser)